Monday, March 2, 2009

I'm Back, Baby

Boy it feels good to be back into the swing of things. Friday was a good rest day. It started raining. It just stopped about an hour ago. more on that later. Spring is back! We were riding around town some, and I'm seeing the Bradford Pears with little white flowers on them. My cherry and dogwood trees have unopened buds, and the Redbud trees have little red flowers starting to open up now. It gives hope for outside runs, long miles on the bike, and a nice garden to come.

Saturday I actually got in a run! hoot! I did basically a tempo run for an hour. 5.6 miles, 863 calories on the treadmill in 60 mins. I walked for a 3 min warmup, then took the speed to 6.1 for about 35 mins. Then walked a little and took the speed to 6.5 until a 5 min cool down. So it was a great tempo run. And a great run period, as it was the first time I had actually run since 2/10. I used no braces and had no knee pain. And I weighed in at 196 before the run, so apparently being sick for 2 weeks helped me lose 9 lbs. sweet!

The rest of the day saturday was uneventful. We hung out with the kids, did nothing really but stay inside and chill. Sunday I installed a new ceiling fan, examined the diet plan a little bit, and made it back to the gym. I got in 18.5 miles on the stationary bike in an hour, 561 calories. that's really spinning, too. I think my average rpm was about 98, I should be keeping it around 90. But I hate that my gym closes at 6 pm on sunday, and I got there right at 5 pm. So one hour of spinning was all I could get. The training plan called for 20 miles on the bike, so I was rolling through to come as close as I could in the one hour that the gym was still open.

Then about 5:53 it started snowing. here, in Greenville SC. Where we never get snow. It's our first snow in 2 years. After 3 days of steady rain it just changed over. So the gym people announced that they were closing in 4 minutes and it was now snowing, so wrap the workouts and get out. nice. I made it home and snapped a few pics. Here's the view from out the front door.

And yes, that was enough snow today to close the schools, most businesses are closed, the grocery stores are sold out with people stocking up. There was a traffic accident on I-85 last night that still has traffic backed up this morning over 2 counties. Here's a closer shot of that dogwood tree:

There are flower buds under all of that snow and ice! This is not cool. This is the kind of storm that screws up local farmers crops sometimes. Watch the price of peaches and strawberries this summer. They are going to be through the roof now because this stuff will have damaged the trees. What was I just saying about spring? Oh, and next friday, high 67, saturday is going to be sunny and 68 degrees. I'd say march came in like a lion, and cancelled my master's swim practice for this morning.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Apparently I've started a dick war with Glaven. I really didn't mean too, it just kind of happened. A couple of weeks ago I wrote about a rough and funny morning I was having involving doughnuts, vomit, and getting punched in the dick. Well Glaven's wife, in her independant and infinite wisdom has apparently latched onto the term "meat punch" that I used in that post. Now she is constantly threatening him with it and he lives in constant fear for his junk. She's taken it to the level of adding her comments to his posts threatening him with meat punching. Apparently, I am supposed to accept responsibility for his pain and fear from living in a terrorist state. It's gotten so bad, he came up with a color code system as described here:

Yes, he wrote an entire post about his current meat punching threat level. Now I have to admit, I really like reading Glaven's stuff. It may be true that his comments on other people's blogs are sometimes funnier than his own postings, but we can't hold that against him. Even the best situational comic needs to be put in a funny situation sometimes to be his best.

But seriously, that post on saturday is the funniest thing I have read in a long, long time. Give it a read, and read the comments that I and others left. I think my favorite part was comparing his johnson to the side of beef that Rocky was working over during the tv interview in the movie. Oh my, I have been laughing out loud at inopportune times since yesterday morning just thinking about that one.

You know any dick war with a Flynn is one that you will ultimately lose. Our pants prowess is legend (wait for it) ary. You've heard of Ironman (the superhero, not the race)? We're knows as IronMembers. So if this is really a battle that Glaven wants to fight, I will beat his meat into submission (yes, that's a gay joke). Glaven will become the Glaveness. His adopted son will become his adopted daughter (but he/she is still a cute kid). I gotta side with Teh Bride (as he calls his wife). Give him hell!

I know my mother reads this blog, and she must be incredibly proud right now. I am (fear not) on track with the training plan. hopefully thursday I will finally get into that swim practice. there are many many miles to come this week, so I'll be posting often.

Congratulatios to everyone that got in a race this weekend. My tampa friend Healthy Ashley ran her second half marathon and got in a great time. Diet guru Caitlin ran a 15k and 5k on saturday, then a half marathon on sunday (same race as Ashley). She set 2 pr's and made goal times in all 3 races. How cool! Who else was racing? I only have 3 more weeks until the Assault bike ride. I can't wait. More to come. Go to Glaven's blog and meat punch his comments for me.

9 comments:

Carly said...

The meat punch post literally made me shoot liquid out of my nose. not pretty.

Sorry about the snow. I guess I will have to move to the equator not to see the white stuff again.

Marcy said...

That looks like A LOT of snow for you Southern folk!

I'm totally going to incorporate the meat punching system in my house. I'm not even kidding! LOL

Amber said...

Hahaha, that's too funny about the snow. As much as I complain about and hate it, it would be weird to live without it.

Glad to hear you're feeling better!

Wes said...

I try not to think about things like this... Too sensitive for my virgin psychie... :-)

Adorable Girlfriend said...

Glad you are feeling better!

We are enjoying our snow in Philadelphia. I enjoyed it so much last night I hit a personal best. :)

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

You know, when it comes to Teh Meat Punch, any time a dude sides with Teh Skirts ... well ... doesn't that diminish all our meat? I mean, our collective meat just wants to live in Peace, right? I mean, you can't even spell "PEace iN the amerIcaS" without PE..N...I...S. And you can't spell "Carolina John" without "DICK". Oops. My bad. You can. So I'll have to alter that.

You can't spell "Carolina John THE DICK!1!" without "DICK".

I think I've made my point.

And furthermore ... you're gay!

My fav part of this post?

"My cherry and ..." etc.

HAHA!!1! I KNEW you were a virgin!

Alisa said...

Pretty snow! Great that you're back out there again. I'm afraid I may have caught the flu bug...was in bed almost all day. I do have high hopes for getting in my 5 miles tomorrow though. (maybe)

hebba said...

Snow or not, I'm still jealous of the nice weather. Spring is still so far off here! (snow all day Sund and Mon, with still some snow showers on the way to work today. Boo!)

healthy ashley said...

Spring showers to cold rain!? Hopefully spring will spring back!

Love that meat punching system! Too funny!

How sweet of you to recognize everyone who just completed a race. Thanks for your support!