Saturday, January 1, 2011

Resolution Run - Quickie

This new year's day we did a Resolution Run in Cary. I was primed to set a 5k PR, and I did! Finished in 24:42, 4th place in my age group (male 30-39). The 3rd place guy beat me by only 30 seconds. I pulled a 7:57 per mile pace.

It felt really good to PR, but I know I could have done better than that. The course finished with some tough hills in mile 2, about 2.6 miles in my abs gave out. They were still really sore from the hard runs Kelley and I did on wednesday and thursday. I hit the 2 mile mark in 15:21 which was right on target with my 7:3x goal pace. But the abs giving out killed the 22:xx time I was shooting for.

I don't run very many 5k's outside of triathlons, so this was a really fun one. Last year I ran a half marathon on new year's day in Travelers Rest, SC and it was only 22 degrees at the start. Today it was 55 and I was able to run in shorts and a sleeveless shirt. Kind of wish I had gloves on, my hands still got pretty cold. But overall it was a fun race and a sweet PR! Great way to star the new year. Here's to a great and active 2011!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

congrats. nice way to start the year!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Congrats!

Carly said...

Congrats! Great way to start the new year. Shorts in January?????? You are killing me! I had on 4 layers for my race today.

Wes said...

Great effort CJ! I love how a PR leaves ya HUNGRY!

Sun Runner said...

Shorts and a sleeveless shirt on January 1? I hate you.

Tat looks great BTW.