Tuesday, January 26, 2016

San Diego 50 - Race Day

I set the alarm for 4:30 am, but then laughed because my body was still on eastern time. Been getting up around 4 am all week without an alarm. Sure enough, got up around 4:15, ate some breakfast, got dressed and got on the road. Had a mild moment of panic when the hotel valet brought my car around and suddenly the GPS in my phone lost the address for the race start that I had pre-programmed in there. Ran back upstairs, got the paper with the address on it, and was off to find the starting line.

The San Diego 50 is a 50 mile trail race held in Escondido, CA on the north side of San Diego. It is an out and back course of 25 miles each way. There is lots of farmland, overall it is a pretty flat course but there are some challenging sections. There is a stream crossing in mile 23 (and returning mile 28), and the last 7+ miles of the course get very rocky and technical. So I was in for a lot of everything.

Cold but ready to run
West coast gets all of the extremes in the weather. It was only 27* when I left Raleigh NC on Wednesday, so arriving at the starting line and wearing shorts and a tank was a bit chilly, but it still let me make fun of the locals all bundled up in jackets, hats, and gloves. It was in the 40's, justified, but I was still pretty comfortable. The drive up took about 45 minutes from downtown SD, no problems with parking or anything. I was driving up this winding mountain road when suddenly I saw the early start runners bust out through an intersection with headlights on! That's how I knew I was heading in the right direction.

Right as the sun was coming up, we all got the starting gun and took off. It was kind of questionable if we would need headlamps at the start or not, but you would definitely need one if you were going to finish after 5 pm. We did not need it at the start, but they had drop bags waiting at the mile 20 aide station if you wanted to drop it there. I just ran with it the whole way.

At first we went out past some farmland, then about 100 yards down a road before picking up more trails. These were double track, wide dirt trails that were very well maintained.

farmland after that grassy part and before the mountains
Once the sun came out it started to warm up. They had aide stations every 5 miles or so. There was a huge climb and very rapid descent to get down to the first aide station. This very friendly mexican girl passed me on the climb and I followed her line on the downhill with leaps and bounds. My first thought when I hit the end of the descent was "that's going to be horrible to go back up with 46 miles already on my legs".

goofy - what do you mean we have to climb those mountains?
and yes, we absolutely did make it up and over those mountains. I took more pictures before the turn around, so they really show the course going out.

Farmland and mountains

Finally getting up to some elevation! starting to hurt here

Wide dirt trails and dreadlocks - Mike was a super cool guy to run with

I knew we were going to be running into that fog, and we did

Nice wide trail, runners in the distance
The shadows are starting to get a bit long there. I didn't get any good pictures of the lake that we ran around, but it was really pretty. There was a dam around mile 14, we ran through some parks, the trail system was very elaborate. It was a really cool course. It was also an open course, so there were other runners, mountain bikers, hikers, everyone was out there.

The creek crossing at mile 23 was a really nice relief. The cold water felt great on my feet, and my shoes were totally dry again by the time I hit the turnaround.

Eventually there was an aide station where my Garmin said mile 24.6, and they said from there the turn around point was .75 miles away. Didn't seem like 3/4 of a mile away to me, which was a relief. I hit the turnaround point strong and felt great. Ready to tackle the return trip.

Sun is getting low already

Still smiling

This is a cactus farm! Such cool sights on this trail.

You can see the trail turn up ahead, there are a few runners up there in the shot

The black shrubs were from a controlled burn - very interesting

The white part on the other side of the valley was a rope retaining system for erosion control.
 This photo shows a really challenging part of the course. The handrail kept us aligned on a series of switchbacks to get up a very steep mountain. Then we ran around the top of it and back down this side. The rope erosion control system on the other side of this valley actually shows the top of the course on that side (we ran at the very bottom of that ropemesh)

Houses on the hillside
I didn't even try to take any pictures after it got dark. I went into the pain cave to just hang out for a while. My marathon split time was 5:02, not my worst. Didn't notice the 50k split time, but when I hit 40 miles at 7:40, that was a pretty serious time. My only other time going 40 miles was in 2012 in Georgia in 9:47, so that's over a 2 hour PR and I got a distance PDR in the next mile. So that was pretty amazing.

Around mile 43 I knew my conditioning was catching up to me, and that huge hill was coming up in mile 46. I switched into walking mode and didn't even try to run any more. That hill was a total bastard, but after that it was just running around some farmland in the dark to make it to the finish.

I walked in at 11:35:57, got my medal and finishers glass, and hit wind down mode. This was my 3rd attempt at 50 miles and my first finish. Ah, happy day!

The finish line was really my only complaint about this race. It was freezing cold, temps well into the 30's then, and I couldn't stop shivering. They had heaters at the start, but those were gone. No mylar blankets or anything, it's a low key trail race. They had no chairs, just one picnic table in the dark. The food was good, but it was just a turkey or veggie sandwich and icewater. I normally take a bottle of water and a bottle of electrolytes at the finish, then a 3rd bottle of water for the drive home - got to prevent the dehydration. I was shivering as I ate my sandwich in the dark, then really didn't think I would be able to drive myself back to the hotel. After sitting in the car with the heater running I warmed up enough to stop shivering. Got into a sweatshirt that I brought along, and felt ok to drive after that. Had an easy time getting back to the hotel, and the shower was so nice. Went to the restaurant upstairs and got a giant burger to top off the tank!

Overall I would highly recommend this race if you're looking for a 50 miler. The course was incredibly beautiful, volunteers were very friendly, aide stations were well stocked, and the organization was outstanding. I am extremely happy with my finish, my time, and my overall experience. This was an incredible way to polish California off from my 50 state list.


Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Congrats on finishing and running a strong race! The 3rd time was the charm for this distance apparently! I'm glad you had a good experience but it's too bad the end was a little bit disappointing with the food selection and all! I know trail races are low key but it seems like they have the best food at the finish.

I'm glad you got this monkey off your back and can focus on your first 100 miler!!

Jenny said...

Well done!

Abby said...

3 time is a charm. Woohoo!!!!!

Fred and Tina said...

50 miles! Congrats!

Amber said...

You're amazing! Congratulations on finishing your first 50-miler! Hope you're still basking in the glow from that :)