Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Intervals

I made it out for some nice treadmill intervals last night. Warm up, 5 x 800, 90 second rest, cool down. run was 4 miles total. The cool part was that I increased the speed with each run. Half a mile each at 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, and 7.5 mph speeds. Considering my typical treadmill sessions are like 8 miles at 6.3 speed, getting in a half a mile at 7.5 is a real treat. That's a flat 8 minute pace for you non-treadmill junkies. The whole thing took just over 41 minutes and burned 586 calories. Freaking great workout! I needed it too. I hadn't left the house since we got back from the beach on sunday, and was getting a little stir crazy.

I do have a new pain to deal with. I actually think it's related to my neck, so a trip to the chiro might be in order. But walking back from the boat to the car after fishing on saturday I noticed a pain in my foot. It has since gotten worse, but felt ok during the run last night. It's a fairly shooting pain that runs from the ankle in two directions. One shot goes out to the third toe, and the other shot goes out to the outside edge of the foot. I have no idea where this is sourced, but it also seems like the arch in that foot is a little lower than in the right foot. I bet the chiro can fix it, but there's no time to get out there this week. You guys got any ideas?

Also, tonight starts Passover if you celebrate the Jewish holidays. We're a Christian family, but I do love a good Seder. It's still Old Testament. Shabat Shalom!

12 comments:

healthy ashley said...

Your run does sound amazing. Especially since I can't run now with the shin splints I am going to live through you! It sounds great!

Sorry about the pain. That just stinks. I don't have any ideas, either, btu I wish I could help!

Have a great day!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Can't help you with any suggestions about the pain, brother.

Shalom!

tfh said...

Those interval workouts do feel great. That's a strange pain, esp. if it wasn't preceded by any memorable incident-- hope it resolves, or that you can get to the chiro sooner than you think.

Jess said...

Nice job on the interval workout! Hopefully a chiro can cure you of the strange foot pain. That's an odd one.

Wes said...

throw some cadence training in there too! That will make the time fly and are great for interval sessions. Count your left foot strikes over fifteen seconds. Multiply by four. You want to come in at or above 90.

I do neck replacements, FYI...

joyRuN said...

It's the only way I can endure the mill is to keep playing with the buttons :)

Good luck with the foot pain - maybe that foot needs more arch support?

Jess said...

Hmm I don't have very good advice for you on the foot pain! But freaking awesome job with the intervals!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

hope the pain is nothing serious! Interval run looks good though!

Missy said...

OUCH, sorry, that's a new one to me - chiro + massage = always good for me! Best of luck with your pain in the neck, er, foot.

teacherwoman said...

Nice job on the run! I am still plugging away with 2-3 mile runs, anything more aggravates the knee a bit. Oh well.... baby steps!

Alisa said...

Great intervals! I tried a track workout on Tuesday and loved it! I'll be adding 1 800 every week until the san diego marathon.

Hope it helps me speed through the marathon =).

Shannon (The Daily Balance) said...

just found your blog -- so inspiring!!!

Just wanted to say hi ;)

I look forward to reading more posts!