Monday, January 26, 2015

Fraternal Fun Times

I love getting together with the boys.  We always have a blast. This time it was just for one evening, but we totally surprised Pat this time and that made it even better. This was actually last Friday night, I'm about a week behind in posting but that happens. MLK weekend was the fraternity's state convention. Pat is stepping down as the head officer of the state so this is going to be his last convention, and some of the other brothers put together a surprise for him.

Pat and I at dinner
First we all met up at the Hooters near UNC-Greensboro for dinner. I don't normally care anything about going to Hooters but when you're in Greensboro already, might as well. We used to eat there at the conventions anyway. We ended up getting about 14 people from Pat's active days to come back and meet him there. It was a complete surprise, and we got him pretty good.

Eventually we made our way over to the School of Music where I found this little gem

It looks like a trumpet


yes that really is the trumpet that Miles Davis used on Kind of Blue - one of the most popular jazz albums of all time. I don't know how it ended up at UNCG but that is unbelievably cool.

We didn't end up doing our planned convention activities, but we did get all of the alumni and current ASU brothers together for a young and old picture that turned out to be really cool. My view of the front line:


And the final product


I can say I'm proud to know both the men I met that night as I am the ones I've known for over 20 years now.  We had a blast. And we definitely gave Pat the great sendoff. Fun times all around.

2 comments:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Wow, that is awesome that you got such a big group of people together - and pulled off a surprise! I bet your friend was blown over! I don't get together with my college girlfriends nearly as much as I'd like since we are kind of scattered in different states/cities, but when we get together it always feels like no time has passed since we saw each other.

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

It's great to get together with old friends, especially ones like that, who you feel as if no time has passed since you last saw them...

I didn't really make many friends in College. I still get together with HS friends and other work/life friends that I have met over the years though!