Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Why No Tri?

At the end of 2007, I registered for my first race, a sprint triathlon, before I actually stopped smoking. Triathlon has been my motivator and primary focus (after family and work) since that first race in 2008. I learned how to ride a road bike, then got stronger at riding a road bike, then really enjoyed riding a road bike. By 2010 we had moved from SC to Raleigh and I was riding in the big gear a lot more. And racing a lot more often. In 2013 I rode over 4000 miles, then really burned out on the bike. I still stuck it out for one more Ironman in 2014. Last year only had 1 sprint triathlon, and this year was only the 3 Little Pigs last weekend.

Overall, the last 8 years of triathlons has been very fulfilling. I loved the discipline and confidence that goes into a training plan, and I wouldn't trade my ironman experiences for anything in the world. I have put a lot into triathlon in those years, and I have certainly gotten a lot back.

Also acceptable:
If triathlon was easy they would call it your mom
My favorite mexican triathlon: Eat tacos, drink tequila, fuck


For me, the multisport lifestyle has turned into more of just a healthy lifestyle. I've lost weight (and gained some of it back, who are we kidding), and gotten older. Actually I'm still trying to come to terms with being an "over 40" athlete even though I turn 41 next week. I'm going to leave triathlon for the younger people. I don't have the desire to pump out 2 a days anymore. Not sure I have the energy for the 5:15 alarm clock so I can ride for 90 minutes before working a full day only to finish it off with a Masters swim practice or easy 10 mile run. 5 bikes, 5 runs, 3 swims every week plus some strength training and yoga to prevent injuries and add some speed? I've had enough of that for one lifetime.






What I am really enjoying right now is single sport swimming or running races. Still leaning towards the longer runs and shorter swims, but I might have to switch that up some. My speed is starting to come back in the pool, I've got 2 more open water races this year.

You'd think after training for the Umstead 100 this year my running legs would be burned out, but that's actually not the case. I do think the marathon is my sweet spot, so I'm starting to train for some marathons and 50k's this fall. More specifically, I'm trying to setup to run 12 marathons in 8 months between October 2016 and May 2017, since by May it's too hot to run marathons here in the south. The grand finale of this streak should be a Mainly Marathon streak - 3 marathons in 3 states on 3 consecutive days covering Penn, New Jersey, and New York on May 1-3. You would think training and running these 12 marathons would be the hardest part, but actually the logistics behind it all is proving to be a challenge. I know how to pace long runs and how to recover quickly now. I don't know where the registration fees, hotel fees, travel time off work, and family involvement is coming from.

So that's the big reveal - the new and really tough marathon maniacs streak. I'm going to take it one race at a time, both to see how many of these I can get registered for to beat those price increases and then actually finish. I have all of the races picked out so let's see if I can raise the cash! And get the miles in. First up on the calendar is the New River trail 50k with Kelley's cousin Ryan. Already on a training plan for it and haven't even registered yet.

2 comments:

CautiouslyAudacious said...

Wow 12 in 8!!! See that sounds way harder to me than training for a tri! :-) Have fun on your new adventure it's always good to change it up. Tri s keep calling me back so even when I take breaks I come back in one way or another.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

12 marathons in 8 months is madness, but I know that when you set your mind on something, you can make it happen! A couple of people in my club are working on running a marathon in all 50 states and I think one girl is up in the 40s in terms of # of races done (and is over 40 as well!). She did 4 marathons in 5 days or 5 in 6 days something crazy like that! It was up in the Northeast which is an area that's conducive to multiple marathons over a short time span since the states are all so close together!

I know you haven't been feeling like biking for quite awhile now so it must feel good to make the decision to be done with tris so you don't have to motivate yourself to do something that you don't really enjoy. That's kind of how I feel about swimming. I'm comfortable in the water but I don't enjoy it nor am I very good at it. I'll probably keep doing a sprint tri a year but don't see that ever being my main focus!