Thursday, June 2, 2016

Enter Summertime Depression

JUUUUUUUUUUNE! What happened here? May came and went very fast. Spring blossomed into summer before I was ready.

Swim: 9400 yards, 4 swims, 1 race
Bike: 22 miles, 2 rides
Run: 36 miles, 6 runs
Strength: 12 times
Yoga: 8 times

I did strength training more than anything else in May, and the results are starting to show up. That's great. 36 miles running over 6 times lacing up the shoes? that's pitiful. The rest is basic triathlon training. The goal I'm working on right now is bench pressing 225 lbs. As much fun as that is, it's not going to get me ready for this year's triathlons. I have a sprint and a half iron this year, and two other open water swim races. I'm also still lining up this fall's marathon lineup, but I'll start training for that in July or August. Right now it's time to lift.

The truth is that it's too hot now to run outside until the fall. I'm done. Every summer I get Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD disease) when it gets really hot here. I hate it. It's already really hot. Last Saturday I went out for a 10 mile run, but cut it down to 6 when the heat kicked in 30 seconds after I left the house. After about 4.5 miles the front of my left shoulder muscle was very painfully fatigued. I could barely hold my arm up it hurt so bad. That was a combination of dehydration from the heat and being sore from the lifting. The important part right now is lifting, so I need to cool it with the 10+ mile runs. And it's time to stick to the treadmill until the awful summer heat goes away again.

The other reason I have my sights set on the fall is my new job! This contract in Durham that I've been on since Thanksgiving is finally wrapping up June 1st. This place has had it's share of frustrations for me, and I have completely lost my faith in state government offices now. I'm sure the elected officials really actually care about what they promise the people, but the last 9 months working in two different state offices has given me a different viewpoint.

Next monday I start working at a dream company, 2 miles from my house. It's using all modern frameworks and I am very optimistic that I will be able to stay there for a long time and be quite satisfied with both the company and the technology stack that we work on. It's a contract-to-hire position, so sometime in the next 4 to 6 months I will convert to a full-time employee. Come on fall!

5/4 was a nice day outside

But by 5/24 it was too hot. Mean mugging outside of my own house.
Got 2 good shots with the top down on the Audi this month. It's getting too hot to let that black leather interior bake in the open sunlight. That turned out to be a horrible idea.

So June is here, it's hot as hell outside, and I'm not leaving the air conditioning until it's not depressing anymore. Until then you can find me in the gym.

1 comment:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Congrats on the new gig! I think that working in the government sector would be so frustrating. There's just no incentive to do things more efficiently. That's one of the reasons that I am not a big fan of 'big government'. I know government has it's role in our lives but I just think there is a lot that could be done more effectively by contracts with private companies. In grad school we did a case study about a city that stopped using it's public works unit to fix the roads and instead hired a private contractor and they saved a ton of money and it was done faster. I wish that happened more with things that it makes sense to contract out!

End rant! ;)

As you enter SAD season, I'm entering my favorite time of year! Too bad our weather can't meet in the middle. It's been on the cooler side here this week (in the 60s) but should warm up to the low 80s next week. It feels fantastic! I can't wait to be further along in my recovery so I can do things like go for long walks or bike rides!