Friday, September 12, 2008

Nutrition

I got stranded yesterday, stuck on the job during a normal workout time. I was all gunned up, ready to go lift some weights and keep a light run at the gym. I was even dressed in full workout attire. but the clients called when I was three steps from the door and kept me at the desk for the rest of the day.

I made it to the gym at 6:30 pm instead of the normal 11:30 am, and I could tell the nutrition deficiency was getting to me. I had no energy and felt really weak during the weightlifting. I don't lift heavy weights anymore like I used to. But I had no grip for the hanging ab excercises, and I could barely push out for any of the machines. I ended up doing some abs, no back (I like to work abs & lower back together, they act together when you use them) and only one circuit of the weight machines. Then it was 3.4 miles in 30 minutes on the eliptical machine and call it a day.

I had a clif bar before the workout, and put off dinner until after getting back home. Of course, once I got back home I had to go back to work until about 11 pm, so dinner really got put off. So what do you like for energy before or after the workout? I've been looking for a recovery drink mix for post run consumption, but I'm not really sure what to look for. It should be something different from what a weightlifter would need, since we runners don't need as much protein. send me any suggestions.

I'm glad friday is a rest day. I'm going to enjoy it. The plan is to get a decent run on saturday, and a long run on sunday. The marathon training plan has monday and friday as rest days, so I think I will adopt the same schedule. I'm looking for a 20 week plan that will start Oct 5th for my race.

it looks like most plans are like that. Moderate run 3 days, 1 long run and one day of cross training per week. I like to work out during the morning or mid-day, so taking monday and friday as rest days works for me. Take one of the T/W/Th workouts as cross training and hit the long run on sunday. Sounds like a plan. I still need a coach.

2 comments:

Katie said...

You are going to have to eat 4-6 smaller meals during the day so that you can have energy to do your workouts. Yogurt, chicken strips, raw veggies, fruit with cottage cheese, eggs, pretzels, a little pasta, banana & granola, salads (after) -don't skimp on the carbs because that is where you get your energy from. Balanced diet is going to be your best bet. Try eating colorful foods for the most benefit

Katie said...

I know a good coach. Talk to me after Ache Around the Lake is over and we will see what we can do for you!