Friday, November 7, 2008

In the doghouse now

Next friday the 14th is my 10th wedding anniversary. This has been haunting me for a while now. 10 years is a long time, a real milestone. And we lived together for 2 years before that, so it's really been 12 years of simple cohabitation. Wow. That seems like a really long time. But my folks have been married 38 years now, so 10 doesn't seem that long by comparrison.

Since we are still in a Bush economy (read: depression) we have to go cheap on the anniversary gifts this year. Now I'd love to get her a 10 stone ring or something nice, but instead we've chosen a cheaper alternative. We're going to get something engraved on the inside of the other one's wedding band. Now neither one of us wears our wedding bands anymore, I've gained too much weight for it to fit, she's lost too much weight. So it's completely symbolic. But I need your help coming up with something to put in there. Any suggestions? Here's what I've come up with so far:

  • 10 years? Feels like 20
  • I hope we have 10 more years together
  • Stop farting in bed

I think she's going to use the last one for my ring. Seriously, I've got nothing here. And only a few days to make it happen. She said I don't have to come up with something sappy, and I've still got nothing. Any ideas?

Next week is going to be nuts. My trip to Atlanta got pushed back from this week to Monday and Tuesday, so now my swim with Coach Stu is monday night, and the run with Girl On Top is tuesday morning. Then I'm headed back to Greenville tuesday after lunch. Wednesday I've got to be onsite at a client all day, then we already have a babysitter lined up for our anniversary dinner & the aforementioned ring display. Thursday she's dropping off the kids at her dad's in Raleigh, NC and Friday (our anniversary) she's heading up to Williamsburg, VA to do some Christmas shopping with friends for the weekend. Which means I get thursday - monday with no wife or kids (best anniversary present ever!), and I'm going to be out of pocket and unable to post for about a week.

That's a ton of miles on the car, fortunately gas here is down to $1.96 a gallon. So we can almost afford these road trips. I do love how the oil industry is reeling back on its heels now that demand for gas has dropped so badly they are lowering the price to encourage more road trips. I didn't expect it to get below $2 a gallon, but it sure is nice. The bad part is that when it was $5 a gallon the price of bread rose sharply. Gas went back down, but the price of bread (and everything else that has a transportation cost) did not go back down. at least not yet. Good thing I'm still getting food out of my garden.

I had a great ride on the bike wednesday, just going around the 'hood here. There are some really challenging hills, and I haven't pushed myself on the bike since the triathlon, so that ride was a good reminder of why I love the multi-sport lifestyle so much. BTW, while Wifey is in VA for 4 days, I will be only on the bike. We're a 1 car family (again, Bush economy), and our only car will be 2 states away. So feel free to come give me a ride somewhere. Anywhere.

Yesterday was really bad. I chose to obey a tv commercial and abandoned my 6 mile planned run in favor of taking the family for lunch at the Olive Garden. They do have some healthy things on the menu, but the theory behind that is still out of place with marathon training. I might make up the 6 miler today, tomorrow's long run is 9 miles. Then rest sunday, swim monday, run w/Kaolee tuesday, rest wednesday, and I will finally be able to post again next thursday.

So I will leave you for the week with a scanned wedding picture.


She totally credits her cooking for getting me fat. I guess that's what a good wife will do for ya. Then again with her cooking (and WeWa) for getting herself thin. Still, that's a cute pic. It's amazing how much people can change in 10 years.

Good luck to anyone racing tomorrow. I loved the B2B race report from Robyn. I'm hoping that will be me next year. Gotta sign up for that sucker once it becomes available.

11 comments:

Steve Stenzel said...

Ummm, personally, I'd go with "stop farting in bed."

That'll go over well.

;) HA!

Unknown said...

What a cute pic! You both looked so young and fresh.

LOL about the engravings. I like, "My beloved is mine. I am my beloved." Something like that. It's in Psalms something or the other.

See you on Tues!

Amy - the gazelle said...

Stop farting in bed is funny - but, since I don't know your wife, not sure if she'd laugh or now.

I might go with something like:
ARC+BAKx10=oo (where oo= the eternity symbol) & the initials, I'd recommend using yours & not mine. Or whatevs. But, I'm a finance geek, so math is hott....

Wes said...

Can you use the excuse, "I'm gift impaired". Still works for me, and I'm going on twenty. Actually, it didn't work for Dee Dee's birthday on Halloween, and I'm STILL trying to recover from that one!! Use at your discretion!!! ROFL....

Unknown said...

Not a funny one, but you could quote the e.e. cummings poem
"i carry your heart"...

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in my heart)i am never without it(anywhere i go you go,my dear; and whatever is done by only me is your doing,my darling)
i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant and whatever a sun will always sing is you
here is the deepest secret nobody knows(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

The formatting is a bit messed up, but you get the idea.Of course, that whole thing might be a bit long-winded to fit on a ring...but you could just use the refrain. I don't know. Just a favorite of mine. e.e. cummings has some other really sweet and quotable poems that you might want to check out.Of course,the farting in bed thing may be the better way to go. Who knows?

Sarah said...

You guys were babies when you got married! Wowzer. Way to make it work. For the ring. . . I have no idea! Good luck

Marcy said...

OMFG I'm DYING of laughter over the last one! That is classic! You've gotta get that baby!

10 years is a long time! CONGRATS!!

Unknown said...

Haha, what a cute pic. Oh the 90s!

I think the Cub would choose the stop farting in bed option for me!
I guess I let loose in my sleep! TMI =)

Hmm.... maybe 'best decision I ever made'....

In any case, congrats on a decade!
Wowzah!

Jess said...

Hmmm I don't have any really good ideas about the ring...maybe something simple.. "I'll love you forever" (kind of sappy, but it's the best I've got!)

Unknown said...

Excited to run bright and early!

Mendy said...

That's funny about the "farting in bed" engraving on the ring. I'm not a sappy person, so I'd go with that one too. But, if she wants sappy, you might want to lean that way.

Enjoyed reading about your running, and am hoping I heal up soon. I'm taking the running part slow and know that's best for me.

Congrats on 10 yrs! Thanks for sharing the pic with us.