Monday, July 9, 2012

Wonderful Birthday Weekend

Saturday was my 37th birthday, and it was glorious.  Shout outs also go to Ringo Starr who turned 72, and Ironman By Thirty.  Blog friends with the same birthday is unexpected and quite pleasant.  My entire weekend was filled with family, friends, and love.  It was wonderful, and if that's any indication of what's to come in my 37th year, it's going to be a fun one.

This heat wave has not broken in the south yet.  Triple digit air temps have led to quadruple digit heat indexes, or at least it felt that way.  That is starting to change, with today's high only getting to 98, and tomorrow only getting up to 85.  It's also supposed to rain for four straight days.   That combination has kept all of my training indoors.

What's better than a nice hard workout on your birthday?  The pool was packed when I got there, so I hopped on a stationary bike for a 30 mile ride saturday.  The cardio deck was also really hot, so I hosed off after the ride and got in the pool.  I had a great swim logging 2500 yards finishing with a nice 700 distance set.  I also got in some strength training and yoga, naturally.

After such a great workout it was time for some celebration.  We met some great friends for dinner at Natty Greene's downtown brewpub, which was hot but is always fantastic.  I *may* have had a few pints of their hand crafted wonderfulness.  But the burger was outstanding.  Then we dropped the kids off at home while Kaileigh was babysitting and headed back to the Flying Saucer where even more great friends met us out there.  We may have consumed more pints of incredible as the saucer has about 100 beers on tap.  So much fun, I got to party below my age limit.

Of course I felt all of 37 on Sunday morning.  ouch.  But after I rehydrated I still felt up for a good workout.  Got a late start, so I made it 25 miles on the stationary bike and ran 4 miles on the treadmill.  I wanted to run 7 miles but the gym was closing and I was hungry.  Made it home in time to stuff myself before today's fruit detox.

Today I'm happy to report that the girls are back in school!  It's a year round school, so Bigun started 2nd grade today and Evil Genius started Kindergarten.  They are both finally going to be in the same school on the same schedule and both occupied for a full school day!  This brings much peace to our house.  and of course I'm proud that my kids are embracing new challenges with this much gusto. 

Cute first day of school outfits

7 comments:

Unknown said...

So there was some form of "Natty" on your birthday!

I love the very end of paragraph 4 and the very beginning of paragraph 5.

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

Happy Birthday! 37!?! Getting up there! I am glad you had a good time!

Sophie @ threetimesf said...

Hey, Happy Birthday! Looks like a great day :) and I can imagine how much less hectic things will be now with one school day - congratulations girlies.

Jess said...

Happy belated birthday! Glad it was a good one!

It's weird to have kids starting school in July, but good luck to them in their new school year endeavors!

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

Ha! I love their nicknames for the blog! ;)

We have a couple year round schools here in Des Moines and their test scores are always higher than the other schools! As much as I love summer off, year round school makes sense.

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

OH, and happy birthday! Duh. :)

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Happy Belated Birthday! The girls look so cute!

I love birthdays. Some people hate them, but I love them because they make me realize how many people love me!!