Monday, April 4, 2011

Good thing I had to stand up the whole time

I loved having a rest day on friday. Boy it was needed, I was tired. So no workouts friday. I got off work and we all took off heading to Kelley's mom for the weekend. Yea, I didn't want to announce to the internet that we were going out of town for the weekend. But the whole thing was freaking awesome!


Saturday I rolled out of bed about 10 am, which was awesome. Breakfast, coffee, lots of water and it was time to ride.



I brought the bike down there knowing it was going to be 75 degrees and sunny all day. It was perfect. This was my first ride outside this year and I was completely amazed at several things.



First, I rode 38 miles in 2:11, which is 17.4 mph. Knowing the hills on this route, the last time I did this ride I was around 14 mph. I was also 35 lbs heavier. It's not much of a route either, just one road really. The training plan called for 2 hours 15 minutes on the bike followed by a 30 minute run-off. At 2:11 I think I planned it out ok. I only saw 17 cars on the road the entire time. Kelley's mom lives in the middle of freaking nowhere SC.

Lots of this.......

Something else happened that was strangely amazing. Before losing the weight I always had a really tough time shifting from the small chainring to the big chainring while riding. The shifters just never would catch on the ring, sometimes if I gave it enough love it would maybe shift up. But since losing the weight, my shifters actually just slide the chain right over there! It's so strange! Totally changes my strategy on the bike.


Also, I saw more NASCAR and Confederate flags than anyone should have. God bless the rednecks in rural South Carolina. amazing.


So the ride was pretty awesome. It got really windy towards the end, and I hate the wind. But it was so sunny, not unbearably hot, the whole thing just felt good. I wrapped the ride and started running with no shirt on. Wasn't sweating profusely, but wasn't cold either. Just perfect. I ended up running 4 miles in about 35 minutes.


By the time I finished the workout, it was time to start getting dressed for the wedding! My cousin Emily got married in Columbia SC. This was an absolutely amazing wedding. Just incredible. It was a 6 pm wedding, very formal.



Evil Genius actually fell asleep in the car on the way into Columbia. That sweet face!

They actually had a bagpiper. A Master Piper from the army actually, and I am actually looking forward to Glaven's jokes about being a master piper. The piper was incredible.



The bride and groom. He's done three tours in Iraq, and we're all glad he's home safe and sound.



Emily the Bride dancing with her father. He really shelled out for quite a shindig!



Me holding the Evil Genius. She did show both a bit of Evil and a bit of Genius.



My cousin Ben (Brother of the Bride and a groomsmen) and his wife Elaine (pregnant, bridesmaid) and their awesome kid.



The girls dancing. We could not get them to stop.

My parents. It was so good to see the whole family again.


This is me with Patty, my mother in atlanta. They are incredible, and I need to get down there again pretty soon.


The reception was held on the grounds at the govenor's mansion. There were about 6 photographers, 4 very open bars, catering that never seemed to run out, and over 400 people in attendance. It was a circus. There were actually judges and senators in attendance! I'm a bit surprised the Governor didn't come out and dance a for a while.




Of course, our girls ended up playing with the band. The band was cool with it, and they stole the show. What a hoot! They even ended up taking a bow after playing along for 5 or 6 songs. What a wild time.

9 comments:

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Sorry. No bagpipe jokes.

My cousin Emily got married in Columbia SC.

Which first cousin did she marry, Cletus? It was Jethro, wasn't it? Did you at least let HIM wear the formal belt-rope for the occasion?

(When given the choice, I will always go for the redneck joke over the n*ts@ck joke. At least I will at this blog.)

But seriously Best Wishes to Emily, congrats to the new husband and please remember to thank him for me and the whole H'berg clan for his service to our country. We too are glad he's home safe.

Georgia Snail said...

Nice brick workout man!

Your family looks really happy together! It's fun to get everyone dressed up every once in a while...

Head down to the A any time-the trails are waiting for you!

it's all about pace said...

way to git-r-done in SC

Sun Runner said...

I hope there was barbecue.

teacherwoman said...

The wedding sounds like a wonderful time! That's a huge wedding and with all that wonderful stuff - awesome!

Nice job on your ride/run-off! You sure are speedy! I can tell you have lost weight! You look great!

Wes said...

Ironman training is all about doing the most with what you have available. NICE WORK! happy wedding and great pics. and yes, yes you do need to make it back to Atlanta, and bring your bike.

Unknown said...

I think you'll find a whole slew of things that are easier without the 35 pounds! Congrats!

That wedding looks amazing!

joyRuN said...

Daaang, you're looking smaller & smaller in your pics CJ!!

Good stuff with the bike chain thing. Not sure what you said there, but you seemed happy about it, so CONGRATS!!

Jess said...

I'm a little late to the party here, but it looks like you all had a fun time at the wedding.

And did Glaven just say something nice in the comments?? I'm stunned!