Monday, December 28, 2015

brief training update

But at least it's an actual training update. We wrapped up all of the holiday stuff yesterday with great fanfare and returned home to Raleigh. The highlight was after stopping for dinner at Cracker Barrel on the drive home, Ella finished her meal with the announcement that "I'm full" and threw a biscuit randomly. Then in the car, before we even got back on the highway, she asked for a snack! You just finished dinner 30 seconds ago child. I don't think so.

I had today off of work as well though, so it was really nice to have the day to regroup, clean up some, and get in a nice run. Umstead 100 training is going pretty well. I took some rest time this month but I'm still getting plenty of miles in. My left hip and right knee are still inflamed and problematic, this is the same problem that sidelined me in the spring so I think I need to seek some help with my running mechanics to fix that. Got any recommendations? I think I also need a referral for a nutritionist. Carrying way too much body fat, even for the offseason.

Today I got out on the roads for an easy 10 miler to the Capital and back. It was smooth, felt great, and had pretty good conditions. It was raining all morning so I needed to stick to the roads. There was some construction going on downtown so traffic was problematic and I had to go a few blocks out of the way. So the graphic above isn't quite accurate, it was coffee run beer. But overall this was a quality day of training and I feel ready to go for it again tomorrow.

2 comments:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I'm too lazy to look up how far Charlottesville is from you, but I listen to this running podcast and the host raved about her experience at the UVA speed clinic. They do a thorough gait analysis. https://med.virginia.edu/speed-clinic/ Maybe check that out? The price seemed pretty reasonable for what they were able to do for you, I want to say it was maybe $200-300? It's been months since I listened to the podcast about it so my memory is vague but I remember thinking I would totally check it out if I didn't have to fly there...

The whole "I'm full" and then "I want a snack" 15 minutes later thing amazes me (Or in your case, 30 seconds later). That's how it is with my nephews and nieces. or they will whine and complain about being too full to finish the meal but when dessert comes out they are magically hungry again...

Amber said...

Great job jumping right back into training mode! I ran today for the first time since Christmas Day and it was tough. Amazing what a week of being lazy and eating like crap can do.