Thursday, May 17, 2012

Tri Time Baby!

Saturday kicks off triathlon season with the FS 50, part of the Washington Triathlon Weekend in Washington, NC.  It's the original Washington, and is known down here as Little Washington.  The race is a 1 mile swim, 44 mile bike, and 5 mile run.  The race has a small field capped at 100 participants, with 95 people signed up when online registration closed yesterday.  They are also putting on a 100 mile race which is just two laps of the same course the 50 mile race hits.  Only 56 people signed up for the 100 mile race. 

This is a new distance for me, it's the first time they've done this race, although Little Washington has put on plenty of half iron, oly, and sprint distance races for many years.  It's a bike lovers race, practically an oly with a longer bike and a shorter run.  I do a lot of 5 mile runs in practice, so I should be well prepared for that.  My bike rides have been seriously lacking since Ironman, so I have no idea how this is going to turn out.  I could have a great ride and still finish near the bottom of my age group, or have a sufferfest on the bike and still pull a decent place. 

My predictions:
Swim around 30 minutes +-
Bike under 2:30
Run under 40 minutes
gimme 5 minutes for transitions
Finish 3:45

As long as I don't finish in last place I'll call it a success.  May 19 is the latest in the year that I'm starting the triathlon season, for the last several years I've done something multisport in March or April so it feels weird.  I still can't wait to get back in that open water.  The swag includes a Sugoi triathlon top and you get a finishers medal at the end.  In triathlons, finishers medals are usually only handed out after half iron (70.3 mile) races or longer.   So hopefully this will be a lot of fun.

Little Washington is about 2.5 hours east of Raleigh, so it's out towards the coast but not really on the coast.  We're going to come on back to Raleigh after the race, as much fun as it would be to hang out in that part of the state for the whole weekend.  LW is very close to Greenville, NC where Kelley went to college, so she knows that part of the state pretty well. 

I've been singing in the church choir lately, and we had another great rehearsal last night.  I have actually moved to singing the tenor line, which feels strange since I've always been a bass.  But there are only one or two other tenors, so I'll jump up.  It's still a lot of fun and really makes me feel connected to the church.

Have a great weekend!

10 comments:

Katie said...

sounds fun - good luck!

Being Robinson said...

sounds like a fun race! have fun and kick some tail. a 5 mile run in under 40 after a swim and bike? holy goodness. fast.

Unknown said...

That sounds like my dream distance race... this coming from the girl who loves her bike! :) Have a great race!!!

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

That sounds like a fun race. I think those distances are something that I could do. I want to do a tri someday but don't have a bike yet. I guess I kind of need one.

Good luck!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I am glad that the church choir is going well for you! I'd love to hear you sing some day! :)

Good luck on your tri - can't wait to see how you do!!

hebba said...

Nice! sounds like a fun race. The season really snuck up this year, didn't it? Have fun. :)

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Wait. You went from bass to tenor? Whud you do? Have your balls removed?

You're going to drive 2.5 hours to get to this tri-sufferfest? More power to you. I refuse to drive more than 45 minutes away from home for any race. That way I manage both to race AND to be a slacker.

Yep. I'm dedicated like that.

Rose @ Eat, Drink, and Be Meiri said...

I remember the first tri I did. Coming off of races, where every single distances gives you some crappy medal, being handed a coffee mug felt like a slap in the face. But, when I look at the pile of stupid medals I got for races with no effort, the coffee mug means a little bit more.

Unknown said...

Have fun with the race! and as a tenor.

Sophie @ threetimesf said...

I'm really glad you're getting back in to the choir thing - it's something that I've always thought was cool, but I can't sing and don't have time to add anything else to my life right now!
Looking forward to the race recap :)